Monday, July 23, 2012


July 23rd moored at Handsacre on Trent & Mersey canal

         223 miles, 210 locks, 3 swing bridges and 12 tunnels from Dunham Massey

Monday 23rd July

The sun is shining, the sky is blue (with a bit of a breeze) so staying put to enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Sunday 22nd July

And even more improvement as temperature rises and clouds disperse. Spent morning on a jaunt to Morrison’s in Rugeley with Molly the Trolley.  The beer stocks built up in Droitwich have mysteriously disappeared
This afternoon we watered up and headed through Armitage to Handsacre where we turned and moored near the winding hole.  Spent afternoon enjoying sunshine and the took the dogs to sample delights of Handsacre (but didn't find them).

Saturday 21st July

A definite improvement in the weather today as we made our way (five miles along Trent Valley) to Rugely and moored in 7Day moorings at bridge 67.

Friday 20th July


It was a bit brighter today but still plenty of cloud about.   We went to Shugborough Hall and although we had been some years ago we saw much more of the house this time.  Patrick Lichfield’s apartments have now been opened to the public, well worth seeing. Lot's of history on Admiral Anson and his circumnavigation which earned him the money to build Shugborough.

Thursday 19th July

On the move again today headed for Great Haywood and junction with T&M. Bit grey and grim but rain held off until we got to the junction where I wanted to reverse onto water point so we could then head south.   Had to shuffle about as three boats already moored (or trying to) and got wet in process.   Eventually watered up, emptied loo and rubbish etc moved off through lock and moored just below and near to Essex Bridge, the largest un widened packhorse bridge in England which crosses the Trent to Shugborough Hall.  We managed a walk with the dogs and a shopping trip to the Farm Shop this afternoon.

Wednesday 18th July

Bridie travelled back from Carlisle today and I walked into Stafford to meet her train (14:46).  It did not look too bad as I left the boat so I did not take a waterproof but it started to rain as I walked through Victoria Park.  As I entered the Station there was a cloud bust and luckily I was able to watch from the safety of the station.  Bridies train arrived on time and we went for a late lunch in town before walking back to the boat.

Tuesday 17th July

A bit better day today and I went for a walk up the towpath and back.  I went to the spot where the canal used to link to River Sow.  Little evidence of any activity yet although a new fence has been erected round the spot where the aqueduct used to be.

Monday 16th July

Wet for most of the day with a lull in the rain between 4 and 6 when I managed to take the dogs for a mud bath walking down the towpath past the Stafford Boat club.  Bridie had two teeth out and another temporary bridge at her dentists in Dalston today.

No comments:

Post a Comment